“Dopamine dressing” is a term used to describe the act of wearing clothes that make you feel good, confident, and happy. The term is derived from the neurotransmitter dopamine, which is associated with feelings of pleasure, reward, and motivation.
Dopamine dressing is about wearing clothes that give you a boost of confidence and make you feel good about yourself. It’s not necessarily about following the latest fashion trends or dressing to impress others, but rather dressing in a way that reflects your personal style and makes you feel great.
Some people may find that wearing bright colors, bold prints, or statement pieces of clothing can help boost their mood and self-esteem. Others may prefer more classic or minimalist styles that make them feel comfortable and put together. That’s why I decided to give you some tips and tricks on how to style yourself happy and feel more confident and empowered with what you wear.
1. Determine How You Feel: Dopamine dressing is about dressing for the mood that you want to create, so the first step is to think about the mood you want to have. Spend the first moments of your day thinking about how you feel and the colors, textures, and prints that make you happy. Then, wear it.
2. Start With Your Closet: One of the most popular aspects of dopamine dressing is that you don’t have to buy anything new. Everything you need is most likely in your closet. You don’t need to buy a whole new wardrobe to feel happy. Look at the pieces you continually gravitate toward, ask yourself what they have in common, and then double down on those attributes. So if you find yourself drawn to red dresses or heels, wear them more often.
3. Gain Inspiration: What aesthetics make you hit the “like” button? Take some time to think about what types of clothing make you feel good and confident. Look through magazines, social media, or even your own closet for inspiration. This will help you determine your style and what types of clothes you should focus on. Creating a fashion mood board can help you discover your aesthetic.
4. Use Color Therapy: Color therapy or chromotherapy has been used for centuries to help balance the body’s energy and even heal physical and mental health. While it has been shown that specific colors bring out certain emotions, our personal feelings toward color are highly subjective; it’s important to wear the colors that make you happy, regardless of trends.
5. Experiment with Texture: While color is important to dopamine dressing, texture plays an important role, especially as multiple textures become popular in mainstream fashion. Fabrics like tulle, velvet, and crochet are becoming increasingly popular. Playing with texture, especially in a way you haven’t experimented with before, can give you a dopamine boost.
6. Take It One Piece at a Time: Like any trend, it’s best to take it one piece at a time, especially if you aren’t sure where to start. Start with one piece—a skirt, a pair of shoes, or even an accessory—and build the look around that. If you have a necklace you love, but you feel like it’s too much of a “special occasion” piece, create the occasion.
Remember, dopamine dressing is all about wearing clothes that make you feel good and confident, and it’s not about following the latest trends or impressing others. It is a way to use fashion as a tool to boost your mood and help you feel more confident and empowered in your daily life.
So, figure out what you associate with confidence and joy – and wear it!